Thursday, May 27, 2004

California senate approves anti-Gmail bill

The California state senate on Thursday approved a bill that takes aim at Google's new Gmail service, placing strict limits on e-mail providers seeking to scan customer messages for advertising and other purposes.
No more gmail for inabeanpod :(
"My legislation guarantees that our most private communications will remain just that--private," said Sen. Liz Figueroa, D-Fremont, the bill's author, according to a statement.
Since when was email our most private communication? Since when was email even private? System Admins can read my email, third partys who have my email forwarded to them can read my email, people standing over my sholder can read my email, the list could go on and on!! If that really bothered me, I wouldn't use email would I?
... Google proposed placing ads in messages based on the mail's content, requiring customers to agree to let the company scan their correspondence for keywords.
See! I agreed to let Google scan my email's when I signed up to be a beta tester for the gmail system! I knew it going in. No one is pulling the wool over my eyes! Sen. Figueroa, I don't need you to tell me what to do, what's right and wrong, what's an invasion of my privace and what's not. And you are only a Calafornia Senitor, what give you the right to make laws that will impact people outside of Calafornia?!
Technology groups opposing the bill noted this week that limits on e-mail scanning would appear to affect a large number of widely used industry practices that have not sparked any privacy concerns to date.
Sen. Figueroa, now you are just pissing everyone off! Trying to make something out of nothing I tell ya!!

No comments: